April 25, 2011

Lake Tahoe Ski Trip - January 2011

When we go skiing in Tahoe, we usually stay at a friend's family condo.  We flew into Reno one weekend on a Friday and drove to South Lake Tahoe to the condo at Lake Village Resort.  It was snowing and foggy when we landed.  We usually take the quick route through Carson City, but decided to take the scenic route along the lakeside.  We drove from the 395 to 431 to 28 to 50.  It's about the same distance, but the roads are more windy.
Before heading out of Reno, we stopped at the closest SaveMart to buy our lift passes to save a little money.  They were $75 at the grocery store, but are around $95 at the lift.  With the snow in the area, we were hoping we wouldn't find any road closures or areas that required chains.  We made it to the condo in a couple of hours. It was really pretty drive.

We usually stay in and cook, play games, read and relax when we are in Tahoe.  We made a run to the grocery store to get supplies for 2 breakfasts and dinners and snacks in between.  We went down to the clubhouse and played pool and ping pong for a while.  Mike and I were planning on going skiing on Saturday at Heavenly to meet up with some other friends.  Heavenly is definitely one of my favorite places to ski.  The views alone are just breaktaking!

On Saturday, we got to the lifts about 10am.  It was pretty busy and took us an hour or so to get to the top.  We like to make our way to the top and over to the backside to ski the blue trails.  We usually stick with Big Dipper, Galaxy, and Olympic Downhill.  We met up with our friends for lunch and skied with them a while.  I ended up taking a big spill on a steep slope and couldn't get into my skis, so I got separated from everyone.  They kept going thinking I already went by and I waited for someone to come back from another run.  Luckily, someone in the group spotted me in my pink ski pants and found me.  Otherwise, I was planning to make my way back to the car.  I was the only one without a cell phone.  I remembered to take mine on the following trip.

After skiing, the girls and I went to grab a couple of cocktails at Fire and Ice.  It's a cool bar with an outside area that has big fire pits.  We've never eaten here, just had drinks.  The guys wanted to take another run, so they met up with us later.  We parted ways with our ski friends and went back to the condo to have a traditional spaghetti dinner with our other friends and a little hot tub time!

We left on Sunday and took the same scenic route back to the airport.  I always love going to Tahoe, maybe one of these days we'll buy a condo there.

Trip Summary
Lodging - Condo at Lake Village Resort
Food - Homecooked Meals
Activities - Heavenly Ski Resort

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...